If you have been recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and we would normally invite you to attend a diabetes group information session, held locally, to help you to understand how to manage your condition more effectively.
Unfortunately during this unprecedented time with COVID 19 and social distancing restrictions these sessions are suspended. We know that it is very important that you receive as much information as you can on and after diagnosis and we want to provide you with other alternatives to support you with learning about Type 2 diabetes in the meantime.
The online resource “My Diabetes My Way”, is a website which allows you to access your online diabetes NHS record to follow your progress with managing the condition. This website also includes helpful self-management information and programmes that will provide you with a good basis to understand your diagnosis.
The programme is linked to SCI Diabetes (the Scottish Register of Diabetes Patients) and has over 200 ‘online’ resources and external links for patient use.
It has over 100 non-English language resources and it is regularly updated with COVID-19 advice and sick day rules.
Just a few of the online resources are as follows:
|Diabetes explained||Managing diabetes lifestyle||Monitoring diabetes||Managing your medications||What’s in your food|
|Diabetes and eyes||Diabetes and your feet||Advice on alcohol||Complications of diabetes||Your annual review|
These are only a few examples.
“My Diabetes My Way”
Is an excellent online resource to understand more about Diabetes at a time of new diagnosis, when you may have many questions?
It will also allow ongoing support as you live with Diabetes and is something we encourage everyone living with Diabetes to use.
To access My Diabetes, My Way please go to My Diabetes My Way
You will be required to register/set up a username and password to access this website but after that you can login and get started. As a patient you can print/download a completion certificate to send to GP/Practice Nurse if you wish.
Another excellent resource where you can find information and learn about the many aspects of diabetes is the Diabetes UK website https://www.diabetes.org.uk
Please see below the support available:
- Latest advice and guidance on coronavirus please refer to Diabetes Coronavirus information
- Call our Helpline Monday to Friday 9am-6pm on 0141 212 8710 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you’d like to join newly launched digital peer support groups contact email@example.com
- Chat online with other people affected by diabetes contact the Diabetes UK online forum
Useful Websites and Contact details:
- NHS GGC Weight Management Service : nhsggc.org.uk/weightmanagement
- The Food, Nutrition and Eating Well Covid-19
- NHS GGC Live Active/Physical Activity :
- NHS GGC Quit Your Way ( Support to help you stop smoking) Tel: 0800 916 8858
- NHS Choices: https://www.nhs.uk/
- Change4Life: https://www.nhs.uk/change4life/about-change4life#
- Carbs and Cals: https://www.carbsandcals.com/
If you are concerned and feel you need more information following your diagnosis please contact your own GP or practice nurse directly and they will be able to answer any questions you may have.
Unfortunately we have no date at present for restarting “face to face” group sessions but we will keep your name and contact details and send you an invitation to an
Online (Microsoft TEAMS) group session which you will receive support to join.
Please keep in mind, this may take some considerable time.